Saturday, November 21, 2009

What Makes Good Knowledge?



Over the past couple of months, I haven't been taking the time to spend my Saturday morning coffee time over a TED.com for a session of caffeine-coupled brain nourishment. Today, an unscheduled morning at home provided a great opportunity to explore some new ideas and awaken the synapses. Of the videos on the TED homepage, one caught my eye: David Deutch's "A New Way to Explain Explanation" -- his attempt to demonstrate how the way we explain things affects knowledge and progress and how myth has been a common human solution to the unknown.

Deutch's talk was a well-spent 16 minutes, and now has me asking myself this question: What parts of my knowledge and belief could easily be explained in another equally plausible way?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails