Monday, May 12, 2008

An Unexpected Flashback


We've been lucky this year to have a robin build a nest right on our deck railing outside our living room window, nestled among the curling vines of a sweetautumn clematis. For the past few weeks we've anticipated the arrival of the chicks. On Saturday morning, they arrived.





It's been a great experience to watch the wonder of new life and the dedication of the parents, but the most amazing thing happened this evening. My wife was peering out the window from our sofa, watching the babies stretch their tiny heads up for food. As I looked up, I saw something I've never seen before -- my wife as a six-year old girl, full of wonder and excitement -- the budding inquisitive scientist -- a precursor to the woman I now know and love. For this alone, I'll forever be indebted to the mother robin that chose our deck railing to start her new family.


Postcript: As I sat here writing this, a large hawk landed on the deck rail, looking for an evening snack. Thanks to the quick action of my wife, the chicks are still pleasantly snuggled in their nest.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails