Monday, May 5, 2008

Awakening

After a string of mediocre springs, we've been presented this year with a nearly picture-perfect display of new life in Central Illinois. Warm days and cool nights -- coupled with just the right amount of rain -- have made for a brilliant, lasting display of flowering trees and shrubs supported by a foundation of tulips, daffodils and other flowering bulbs. The flowering crabapples perhaps have been the most impressive-- forming dense, fragrant canopies of white, pink and red.


It is striking to me that we're being treated to such a spectacle of nature, simultaneous to my own personal search for rebirth and belief. Lest you think I'm heading to the nearest revival, I assure you that my rebirth won't be anything of a traditional religious reawakening. Rather, I'm searching for a more concrete something to hang my spiritual hat on. And I suspect the juxtaposition of efficiency and intricacy found in these spring blooms -- in fact, in all of nature -- might lead more to my awakening than any communion of humanity can offer.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails