Sunday, January 13, 2008

A Recurring Theme

I wonder if anyone has tried to codify popular music into subject matter categories. It would be a huge undertaking, but certainly an interesting exercise. (I'm not volunteering, by the way.) Near the top of the list would have to be lost love or relationships that didn't work out. I'd venture to say there are more songs about love gone wrong than lasting relationships. Here are some lyrics I've been throwing around in my head for a while about trying to get over one of those relationships that didn't work out.


Everything Reminds Me of You

Driving down the street today
The trees are raining gold

The brisk of fall surrounds
But fails to make me cold

Reminded by the whirling leaves
That way you made me feel

Lifted up without fear
Simple pleasures so unreal
Can't help but wander off
Drifting back into our past
Knowing just what we were,
Swore we'd always last


Can't make it through a day
Without you somewhere in it

Reminders in plain view
Not ready to admit

Your face, eyes, and voice
Everywhere I turn around

So I'm sitting here tonight
To write these five words down

Everything reminds me of you
Yeah, everything reminds me of you

I've tried a million things
Nothing I can find
Helps forget you now
Erase you from my mind
Can't keep our memories
Tied up, locked down
Begging them to leave
They always stay around
Can't shake that love we had,
So unforgettable

Been gone so long now
Never thought I'd let you go
Missed the chance to make it right,
Trapped in life's binding chains
If I could just release you from my dreams
Our past would be a pleasant memory

Can't make it through a day
Without you somewhere in it

Reminders in plain view
Not ready to admit

Your face, eyes, and voice
Everywhere I turn around

So I'm sitting here tonight
To write these five words down

Everything reminds me of you
Yeah, everything reminds me of you
Why does everything remind me of you?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails