Saturday, January 12, 2008

Particle Man

As I'm sitting here tonight in the kid's room, he's listening to his favorite They Might Be Giants songs as he settles down for sleep. Lately, he's been a little TMBG-obsessed, but I can think of worse things to be. Earlier this afternoon, I told him to listen to the songs closely because TMBG tends to be "educational" in their songs.

So from the dark side of the room (I'm illuminated by the glow of my laptop LCD) comes "Daddy, what's Particle Man about?" After a moment's hesitation over whether I should open up that can of worms, I told him that I've always thought it's about science, religion and the universe and how humans are really just small specks that get tossed around by the greater forces. He was OK with that. :)

Evidently others have had a different take on the song, but that's the great thing about music -- its openness to interpretation.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails