Thursday, January 17, 2008

Broken Heart Boots

Before the holidays I made a quick trip down to Austin to visit a friend and went to the Saxon Pub on a recommendation of a friend of a friend. We had a great time listening to and talking with the band. One of the friends of the band was wearing these cowboy boots that were black and white with red hearts tumbling down the side. For some reason, I really liked them and could only imagine the nights they had seen. So I thought I'd write a little back story to them in the form of a song. (Now I really know nothing about the woman wearing the boots, so this is complete fiction.)

Broken Heart Boots

Past the neon gilded door
Another happy hour unfolds
Wipes a thankless week away
The faces look familiar
Been here many times before

The Regulars holding court
Sing a six-string story
Everyone knows by heart
Girl gets guy, an easy catch
The fishnets snare them every time

See you sitting there
Lighting up the room
That up-to-no-good smile
Blond curls in your eyes
And boots that let us know
Your night’s just begun

But I’ll just take a pass
Not order from the menu
Tempting as you are
I’m wanting something more

Because tonight...

I don't want to be another of
Your Friday nights gone bad
Behind that black mascara
Your eyes betray a tale
Drowning in that gin and tonic
Hiding from your roots
Just tell me all the stories in
Those broken hearted boots

I know you’re more than
A short skirt and stockings
I want to know what’s
Behind your disguise

So tonight....

I don't want to be another of
Your Friday nights gone bad
Behind that black mascara
Your eyes betray a tale
Drowning in that gin and tonic
Hiding from your roots
Just tell me all the stories in
Those broken hearted boots

1 comment:

Tonya said...

Hey there, Rebecca's friend here (the "friend of a friend"). Glad you found some inspiration at the Saxon. It used to be one of my favorite places to go listen to music.

Related Posts with Thumbnails